FROM THE ABBEY TO THE EPISCOPAL PALACE
Located on the banks of the Agout River, on the site of a former Benedictine abbey, the building which now houses the Goya Museum is a former episcopal palace built in the 17th century under the episcopate of Monseigneur de Tubeuf. Its construction took place from 1665 to 1673, according to the plan of the great architect of Versailles, Jules Hardouin-Mansart. In a classical style, the building takes up the architectural vocabulary in vogue in the 17th century: symmetry and simplicity of forms, sobriety of decoration, regularity of openings. If the general appearance of the palace is preserved today, many architectural adaptations have been made inside and on the facades over the centuries, in particular the drilling of new openings, as well as the creation of intermediate levels in the floors. The facades of the entire building have been listed in the Supplementary Inventory of Historic Monuments since 1927.